Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Birthday celebration in Liberia

On Monday, May 21, I turned another year older. Not any wiser, mind you!

In a country severely lacking in fun things to do, how does one celebrate a birthday? Or any special occasion? Well, you adapt to the local situation and make it simple. I still tried to make the best of it with the help of family.

The day before my birthday, I received the best gift. A coffee maker!! I know, I know! You all probably think what's so special about a coffee maker? Well, let me tell you what makes it special. There is no such thing as decent coffee in this entire country. People here drink instant coffee. If you are someone like me, who is used to living on 8-10 shots of espresso per day and a gallon of coffee, you will find this country absolutely horrid. In my knowledge, there is only one place in the entire country that serves filter coffee and espresso. And that depends on the day. Some days they don't have either. Sometimes it feels like it is easier to obtain blood diamonds and illegal wildlife than finding a decent cup of coffee. So, imagine my joy when I received a coffee maker! I was so thrilled that I thought of sleeping next to it in the kitchen.

On the day of my birthday, in stereotypical Indian tradition, I arranged a party for my colleagues. Americans usually do it the other way around, but we Indians see it as our responsibility to feed people who have come to wish you. So, I arranged for lunch. Potato greens and rice...the quintessential Liberian dish. It also happens to be my favorite Liberian food. We took a group picture before lunch.

Group hug! Look at me in green!!
After eating a bucket load of potato greens with rice, I had to be wheeled out of the conference room in to my office. My gluttonous self was already thinking about dinner. We went to one of the "fancy" places in town, and there is a reason why I put the word fancy in quotes. It is one of the few places in town where you can get somewhat reliable service and good food, besides cocktails. Barracuda Sushi Bar is housed in the famous Mamba Point Hotel, within walking distance to our house. The sushi is good, the ambiance is pleasant, and they have limited cocktails.

After coming home from dinner, I received the second birthday present. Although I am unable to see it in person, I am most excited for it. It is a Heidi Norton sculpture. The artist will be shown at the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art starting August. The sculpture I/we own is listed on her website, but I am posting a picture here as well. It is a mixed media + live object sculpture, with a living fern and other objects encased in resin. Even though I haven't seen it live, I am absolutely fascinated by it. I cannot wait until I return to the US and see it in our home.

Heidi Norton sculpture
Despite living in Liberia away from most of my friends and family, I managed to have a wonderful celebration because of one person. At the end of the day, all that matters is that we are together.



3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this day was memorable for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resin???!!! That's how they cloned those dinosaurs in Jurassic Park! Don't unleash them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love the last statement in your post. So beautiful! That really is what matters most.

    ReplyDelete