Friday, February 10, 2012

Happy Friday...Michael arrives!!

Michael arrives this evening. I am super thrilled. It has been 5 long weeks since I left him in Chicago. I was worried for a moment because all flights to Monrovia were canceled on Wednesday due to a thick haze. We haven't seen sun in Monrovia in 4 days. The entire city is covered in haze. It looks beautiful at times, and I am happy the temperature fell down because of it. No more sweating profusely.

It is funny that our air shipment and Michael are arriving on the same flight. It's funny because the air shipment left Chicago three weeks ago and we have been joking that it will get here at the same time as Michael, even though it is supposed to take 6-8 days to arrive.

Work is going well. I gave a presentation to USAID (where all our money comes from) yesterday about our strategy for this year. USAID invited other teams as well - municipal water, sanitation and hygiene, education, etc. The US government is the single largest bilateral donor to Liberia, so USAID is doing extensive work in this country - ranging from forest preservation to health care. Our strategy received the most accolades of all. Of course it did, I developed and presented it (bragging much?)! I am proud to report that other ministries in Government of Liberia look up to the Health Ministry as a model to follow. A good reason for that is the work done, and continuing to be done, by our project. You can say we are the flagship project of USAID health initiatives, not only in Liberia, but in similar post-conflict countries.

I am planning my trips to the "bush" (local term for rural areas). I should start traveling to Bong, Lofa, and Nimba counties in two weeks. I will be visiting Gbarnga (Bong), Voinjama (Lofa), and Sanniquelle (Nimba) - all county capitals. I might even take Michael with me, if he doesn't mind traveling through the jungle with bare necessities. I am going to visit health centers in these counties, introduce myself, and present them my strategy to strengthen their health system. I shouldn't be using ambitious terms like "health system", because what currently exists is bare bones. My goal is to build a viable system that sustains itself after most international aid disappears. You never know about aid money in the current economic situation, you have to be self-sustainable, at least to the extent of providing certain basic health services.

Anyway, that's my work update for the week. Tomorrow is a holiday in Liberia - Armed Forces Day. However, unlike the US, we do not observe holidays that fall on a weekend on a succeeding/ preceding work day. I was informed that if a holiday falls on a Saturday, you do not get Friday off. However, if the holiday falls on a Sunday, you get Monday off. It doesn't make any sense, just like a lot of other things in Liberia. So here we are, working on a Friday. I should take a hint from the Europeans and go on a strike for denying me a long weekend. I am more concerned that everything will be closed for two days. We already know everything shuts down on Sunday...and I mean, everything!! Now I have to add Saturday to the list because of this holiday. I better shop for groceries, water, beer, etc., this evening. 

Since I like talking about food, below is a picture of a local crab seller. The pic is not very clear, but that is him dangling a big beautiful blue crab. He stands on the street corner, a block from our house, and sells fresh seafood, whatever he gets from the ocean that morning. Some days it is blue crabs, other days it is fish. I have seen beautiful blue crabs and mega-sized tuna (at least 6 feet long). I cannot wait for our kitchen stuff to arrive in the air shipment so Michael and I can have some crab claws. Yeah!!



That's it folks! I will post more next week after Michael settles down. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I know, I know! I am forced to drink beer because it is next to impossible to find a decent cocktail in this country, unless I make my own. Alcohol is expensive and sparse, unless it is beer or South African wine (which are not bad, btw). I am drinking beer until my alcohol shipment arrives.

    ReplyDelete